The First of Many Meatless Mondays


My personal impact habit will be to cut out meat from my meals on Monday. This means that every Monday instead of eating things such as bbq ribs, steak, or even chicken I will instead eat meatless alternatives like pasta or leafy greens. I plan on starting this habit next week and plan on continuing it until January 7th, 2019. 

This habit will allow me to help address my many ethical concerns for the estimated twenty two billion livestock being raised around the world (1) and reduce the estimated 9% of all american greenhouse gas emissions that are emitted while raising livestock (2). One such ethical concern that eating meat often helps to promote is that of factory farms which according to the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, (also known as the aspca) “ are industrial operations that contain upwards of 95% of all American livestock in inhumane conditions that harm their animals. “ Additionally, there are also tangible health  benefits to reducing the amount of red meat that I consume on a daily basis. For according to a recent Harvard health study, “New data shows substantial [health] benefit[s] [to] eliminating or reducing consumption of red meat and substituting healthier proteins.

However, while this habit may be better for environment and me, it won't be easy. For to transition away from my meat dominant diet by substituting some of my favorite foods with plant alternatives. Although, I feel that this difficulty in the transition can be countered with a support structure of both family and friends to help me overcome any meat temptations or temporary lapses in judgement. 


Thus, by committing to this new habit I can commit to creating a more sustainable world while living a longer and healthier live as a result. 




References 

http://css.umich.edu/factsheets/carbon-footprint-factsheet


https://www.aspca.org/animal-cruelty/farm-animal-welfare


https://www.health.harvard.edu/staying-healthy/cutting-red-meat-for-a-longer-life


Comments

  1. I noticed you stated you will be incorporating a support structure and using it as a support system to ensure you stick to your goal, in order to raise your cogskill score I would suggest putting in how you will accomplish this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that being more conscious about what goes into your system is healthy and a positive decision, but how can you prove that you've cancelled out meat in your life to a random stranger? Are there things that feel different?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Mid-point Reflection

Calculating Impact

The Mauling of Meatless Mondays